Quality Dairy closes Michigan Avenue store in East Lansing

Quality Dairy on Michigan Avenue on March 25, 2019.
Quality Dairy on Michigan Avenue on March 25, 2019. —
Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

Quality Dairy, a local chain of convenience stores, closed its Michigan Avenue location on Nov. 19.

Quality Dairy marketing manager Phil Platte told the Lansing State Journal that the location at 808 E. Michigan Ave. was one of the few locations being leased by the company, and they decided to not renew their lease.

Quality Dairy CEO Ken Martin said in an email to The State News that the factors that led to the closing include the location's small footprint and the recent changes to Michigan Avenue that affected traffic patterns.

"In the end we made the decision based upon the economic reality that we could not justify a renewed lease for this site," Martin said in the email.

Martin added that the company was "actively looking" for a replacement site, but did not specify if that location would be in East Lansing.

The current building is now completely empty inside and the Quality Dairy signs have been taken down.

A Michigan State University-themed location on Grand River Avenue closed in June 2020 amid the pandemic and another on Trowbridge Road closed in 2016.

Only one location remains in East Lansing, at 3332 E. Lake Lansing Rd.

Quality Dairy still has 26 locations in the greater Lansing area. In addition to the Lake Lansing Road store, other locations near campus include 2400 E. Michigan Ave. and 400 S. Pennsylvania Ave. in Lansing and 1699 W. Grand River Ave. in Okemos.

Share and discuss “Quality Dairy closes Michigan Avenue store in East Lansing” on social media.