Panhellenic, Interfraternity Councils prohibit social events following switch to remote learning

<p>MSU Greek Life conducted a Greek Welcome event on Thursday, September 2, 2021 at the Rock on Farm Lane. The event was planned by representatives from each of the four councils - the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Multicultural Greek Council, Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council - and designed to educate students who are interested in joining greek life on campus. </p>

MSU Greek Life conducted a Greek Welcome event on Thursday, September 2, 2021 at the Rock on Farm Lane. The event was planned by representatives from each of the four councils - the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Multicultural Greek Council, Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council - and designed to educate students who are interested in joining greek life on campus.

Photo by Chloe Trofatter | The State News

The Michigan State University Panhellenic Council, or PC, and Interfraternity Council, or IFC, has placed a three-week social moratorium on Greek organizations of their councils.

This comes after MSU President Samuel L Stanley Jr.'s decision to begin the semester with three weeks of virtual learning due to the surge of COVID-19 cases across the country.

The moratorium prohibits Type I through Type IV events by the organizations.

Type I events are those hosted by Greek chapters and are attended by greek members only.

Type II events are a mix of Greek and non-Greek attendees. These events include mixers, tailgates, day parties, rush parties, opened or closed parties.

According to the statement issued by PC and IFC Sunday evening, the moratorium is effective immediately and will last until Feb. 8, but is subject to change. The social moratorium includes 14 PC organizations and 28 IFC organizations.

Events hosted by a third-party, Type III, or are strictly for alumni or family members, Type IV, are also prohibited.

The moratorium does allow chapters to host virtual events or postpone in-person events until after the social ban is lifted. A $250 fine, as well as a two-week social probation, can be issued to chapters that violate the moratorium.

The statement also included a Google form for complaints as a way to hold chapters accountable.

Share and discuss “Panhellenic, Interfraternity Councils prohibit social events following switch to remote learning” on social media.