Tuesday, March 19, 2024

MSUPD to install over 300 cameras following safety concerns

<p>The Beaumont Tower courtyard serves as another place to enjoy the greenery and aesthetics of campus while you study, meet with family and friends, or just take a break from the hustle and bustle of campus life.&nbsp;</p>

The Beaumont Tower courtyard serves as another place to enjoy the greenery and aesthetics of campus while you study, meet with family and friends, or just take a break from the hustle and bustle of campus life. 

Photo by Chloe Trofatter | The State News

Michigan State University President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. announced in an email Nov. 12 that MSU Police and Public Safety will begin installing more than 300 new security cameras on campus, within the next few weeks. 

This decision came following safety concerns surrounding missing persons Brendan Santo, who was last seen leaving Yakeley Hall Oct. 29. 

“I continue to be heartened by our community’s outpouring of support for the Santo family, and I appreciate those who have shared information with law enforcement and volunteered in the search,” Stanley wrote in the email. “But I do understand that this tragic situation has evoked many concerns and emotions.”

There are thousands of cameras located throughout campus, but the one at the entrance of Yakeley Hall was not operational the night Santo went missing but is being fixed, Stanley wrote. 

In addition to the installation of new cameras, Stanley wrote there are ongoing improvements to campus outdoor lighting and a campus safety app that will be rolled out soon. 

“When combined with our other safety measures … we are making sure Michigan State University’s campus is as safe as it can be,” Stanley wrote. 

Vice President of Public Safety and Chief of Police Marlon C. Lynch and Senior Vice President Vennie Gore will be hosting a virtual town hall meeting Wednesday, Nov. 17 at 6 p.m., for students, families and other MSU community members to attend and address any remaining safety questions and concerns.

The meeting will be held via Zoom, and the passcode is 185502.

Those planning to attend can submit questions ahead of time by Monday, Nov. 15 at 5 p.m.

Stanley added MSU continues to work with partners in East Lansing to identify those who took part in vandalism and arson, following the MSU-U-M game on Oct. 30.

“We offer our commitment and support to the City of East Lansing to work together to maintain a safe off-campus community,” Stanley wrote. “Students who are identified as participating in illegal activities will be subject to our student conduct code and will be held accountable for destructive behavior."

East Lansing Mayor Pro Tem Jessy Gregg sent a letter to Stanley, other members of the administration and East Lansing City Council members, over a week ago, calling on them to address the celebration culture present in the MSU community. 

According to a Facebook post from Nov. 9, Gregg has not received any response to the letter from the President’s office, except for a brief note from Government Relations instructing Gregg to read the press-release that was posted after the vandalism occurred. 

“I am shocked and disappointed that I have not heard from any other representatives from MSU's administration,” Gregg wrote in the letter. “Three days post-game we are still being contacted by media organizations who are eager to splash the Spartan ‘S’ across their headlines about record breaking public safety calls, alcohol related transports to our already over taxed hospitals and willful property destruction.”

Gregg wrote she is committed to working with MSU administration to address the issue.

“I would like to work with all of you to create the cultural realignment that it is going to take to undo these harmful traditions,” Gregg wrote. 

Share and discuss “MSUPD to install over 300 cameras following safety concerns” on social media.