Indian Students' Organization holds event to celebrate Diwali

<p>People participating in Dandiya Raas, an Indian folk dance, at the Diwali celebration that was held at IM West Circle on MSU’s campus on Nov. 5, 2021. The event was put on by the Indian Student Organization at MSU in collaboration with the International Students’ Organization.</p>

People participating in Dandiya Raas, an Indian folk dance, at the Diwali celebration that was held at IM West Circle on MSU’s campus on Nov. 5, 2021. The event was put on by the Indian Student Organization at MSU in collaboration with the International Students’ Organization.

Photo by Jillian Felton | The State News

Michigan State's Indian Students’ Organization , or ISO, which helps Indian students accommodate culturally and academically at MSU, hosted a Diwali Night on Oct. 5 at IM Sports Circle, in collaboration with the International Students’ Association.

ISO Director of PR and Undergrad Affairs Aditya Varma said Diwali is a holy festival of lights in the Hindu religion that aims to celebrate the victory of light over darkness.

“Everybody celebrates (Diwali) back home,” Varma said. “Here in the U.S., where we don’t have our families, we just wanted to get the community together to celebrate this event — especially after the whole COVID period. It’s been really hard for a lot of people … and it’s just like sort of a get-together to feel that sense of light.”

The night began with Pooja, or a worship ritual which includes prayer to Lord Ganesha and Lord Lakshmi, intended to bring wealth, happiness and knowledge, Varma said.

A member of MSU Swara, a community of Indian classical musicians and dancers at MSU, sang during the celebration.

Bollywood music played during the event, and attendees performed an Indian folk dance, called Garba-Raas, to it using Dandiya sticks.

Following the performances and dancing, attendees ate dinner together. Paradise Biryani Pointe and Sindhu Indian Cuisine catered for the event.

Computer engineering sophomore Ishwari Kapale attended the event to remind them of their celebrations home in India.

“I missed home,” Kapale said. “That’s the main reason that I came here. Back at home. … It's like a grand celebration in India. To have this event on campus … I don’t miss home (as much) anymore.”

Public policy junior Shaurya Pandya also attended Diwali Night.

“I know a lot of people here, and I’ve celebrated this before as well,” Pandya said. “So it just felt like a fun day.”

Varma said ISO is one of the oldest Indian organizations on campus, and it caters to both undergraduate and graduate students.

“We are the ones who basically started all of the community of Indians on campus,” Varma said. “We want to continue this legacy over the upcoming months with a lot of new events coming up.”

Share and discuss “Indian Students' Organization holds event to celebrate Diwali” on social media.