Mitchell Lewandowski returning to Michigan State for fifth season

Junior left wing Mitchell Lewandowski (9) moves with the puck during the game against Arizona at the Munn Ice Arena on Dec. 14, 2019. The Sun Devils defeated the Spartans, 4-3.
Junior left wing Mitchell Lewandowski (9) moves with the puck during the game against Arizona at the Munn Ice Arena on Dec. 14, 2019. The Sun Devils defeated the Spartans, 4-3. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

The dominoes have started to fall on some of the unprecedented decisions seniors have on whether or not to exercise their extra year of eligibility for the 2021-22 season.

Michigan State lost two seniors, Brody Stevens and Tommy Miller, earlier Tuesday to the transfer portal, but will be getting one back next season as forward Mitchell Lewandowski has announced that he will return to East Lansing for a fifth season.

In his four years in green and white, Lewandowski has been a constant offensive threat to opposing teams. This past season he led MSU with 13 points while being tied for the team lead in goals with six. On March 6, Lewandowski reached the prestigious 100-point career mark, joining 70 other players in program history. His best season so far came his sophomore year where he recorded 34 points as part of the KHL line with former Spartans Patrick Khodorenko and Taro Hirose.

Having Lewandowski return for another season certainly looks to do be a step in the right direction for head coach Danton Cole in terms of jumpstarting the putrid offense that haunted Michigan State in 2020-21.

With three anouncements from seniors today, along with graduate student Charlie Combs signing a deal with the Witchita Thunder of the ECHL, that now leaves seniors Tommy Apap, Austin Kamer, Jake Smith, and Ginaluca Esteves yet to announce their plans for next season.

Share and discuss “Mitchell Lewandowski returning to Michigan State for fifth season” on social media.