Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Increased concealed pistol licenses in Ingham County leading up to the election

The parking lot of Holden Hall on July 17, 2020.

It is common for concealed pistol licenses (CPL) to increase surrounding an election; however, applications and renewals have significantly increased this year, according to Ingham County Clerk Barb Byrum.

"This is typical, but then you compound it with the serious nature of our civil unrest," Byrum said.

This year, several protesters have gathered locally, including those against police brutality and others against the governor's emergency orders.

CPL license applications and renewals increased by more than double in July and August, when local protests were prominent, compared to the same months in 2019.

Additionally, licenses and renewals increased by about 91% in September 2020 vs. September 2019.

Byrum said there has been a delay in processing of license application and renewals due to a high volume. She said her office is mailing out about 200 to 300 a week, currently.

This year, licenses and renewals were up nearly 69% from Oct. 1 to 21.

"This is just Ingham County. Now granted, Ingham County is a larger populated county. We're one of the larger counties in the state," Byrum said. "But, that's a lot of concealed pistol licenses."

The increase in permits are the result of uncertainty of what will occur during and after the election, regardless of who wins, MSU criminal justice Professor David Carter said.

"A highly conflicted political environment fueled by conspiracies and false information, notably from social media heighten social anxieties," Carter said in an email statement.

This type of fear might make people feel like they need to do something, Carter said. The COVID-19 pandemic further agitates this fear.

"Buying firearms is one response, but so is 'prepping' with food and supplies," Carter said.

Carter said this response can be compared to the irrational response of buying large amounts of toilet paper when the COVID-19 pandemic hit Michigan earlier this year.

CPLs must be renewed every five years and have to be applied for or renewed through the county clerk, as opposed to local clerks, Byrum said.

In order to apply for a CPL, Byrum said the county has done curbside appointments where a community member pays a fee, completes a form, shows their training certificate and photo identification. The application is then sent to the sheriff's office for fingerprinting and Michigan State Police runs a background check.

Ultimately, an application is approved or not by the state police and then Byrum reviews the application one more time.

Byrum may also suspend a license if an individual is charged with a certain crime.

Share and discuss “Increased concealed pistol licenses in Ingham County leading up to the election” on social media.