Ex-MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages to be sentenced this week

Ex-MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages during a preliminary hearing at 54-A District Court on Sept. 27, 2018. Klages is charged with two counts of lying to a peace officer.
Ex-MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages during a preliminary hearing at 54-A District Court on Sept. 27, 2018. Klages is charged with two counts of lying to a peace officer. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

Ex-MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages will be sentenced Tuesday, according to Veterans Memorial Court records. A water main break at the courthouse last month postponed Klages' original sentencing.

Klages' charges resulted from the investigation into MSU's handling of ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar's numerous abuses.

In February, Klages was found guilty of two counts of lying to police: a felony charge punishable by up to four years in prison and/or a $5,000 fine, as well as a misdemeanor carrying up to two years in prison and/or a $5,000 fine.

Klages' charges involve her denial of knowledge of Nassar's abuses prior to the 2016 investigation.

Her guilty verdict makes her the second former MSU employee found guilty in connection to Nassar.

In April, former MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine Dean William Strampel was released from Ingham County Jail after his 2019 sentencing.

Strampel was originally sentenced to one year in Ingham County Jail in relation to two counts of willful neglect in his role as Nassar's boss and a count of misconduct in office, a felony. However, he served eight months and was released for good behavior.

Klages' sentencing will determine if she will be the second MSU employee to serve time.

Share and discuss “Ex-MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages to be sentenced this week ” on social media.