Klages sentencing postponed due to water main break at courthouse

<p>Former MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages sits at a motion to strike an expert witness at Veterans Memorial Court on Feb. 5, 2020.</p>

Former MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages sits at a motion to strike an expert witness at Veterans Memorial Court on Feb. 5, 2020.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Ex-MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages' sentencing has been postponed due to a water main break at Veterans Memorial Courthouse, according to Deputy Court Administrator Janice Dooley.

In February, Klages was found guilty of two counts of lying to police in connection to her denial of knowledge of ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar's abuses prior to the 2016 investigation.

Her charges stem from the investigation into MSU's handling of Nassar's numerous abuses, one a felony and one a high court misdemeanor.

The felony charge is punishable by up to four years in prison and/or a $5,000 fine. Additionally, the misdemeanor carries up to two years in prison and/or a $5,000 fine.

Klages' guilty verdict makes her the second former MSU employee found guilty in connection to Nassar.

At this time, the courthouse's water line has been shut off, and repairs will be needed before access can be granted again, Dooley said.

"That process, we predict, will take several hours," Dooley said. "It is our hope that tomorrow we'll be open for business as usual."

According to Dooley, a future sentencing date has not been determined.

Share and discuss “Klages sentencing postponed due to water main break at courthouse” on social media.