First COVID-19 death in Ingham County

<p>This illustration, created at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. Note the spikes that adorn the outer surface of the virus, which impart the look of a corona surrounding the virion, when viewed by electron microscope. A novel coronavirus, named Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China in 2019. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Alissa Eckert, MS; Dan Higgins, MAMS</p>

This illustration, created at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. Note the spikes that adorn the outer surface of the virus, which impart the look of a corona surrounding the virion, when viewed by electron microscope. A novel coronavirus, named Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China in 2019. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Alissa Eckert, MS; Dan Higgins, MAMS

Ingham County Health Department reported the first death in Ingham County due to COVID-19 on April 1. The individual was a male in his 50s.

According to the release, the individual had an underlying health condition. This was likely a contributing factor to his death.

The individual did not expose the general public to COVID-19, according to the statement.

COVID-19 is a mild illness for at least 80% of the population, according to the release. However, the illness can be severe in those who are older and in individuals with pre-existing health conditions.

“We send our deepest condolences to the grieving family members and friends at this time,” Ingham County Health Officer Linda S. Vail said. “It’s a sobering reminder of why people must practice social distancing. Not everyone who has the coronavirus will be sick. Distance yourself from others as if everyone has it. Be diligent with hand washing. Do not touch your face with unwashed hands.”

Confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ingham County currently total 91 as of April 1, according to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

Across Michigan, cases are reported at 7,615 with 259 deaths as of April 1.

In order to mitigate spread, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued the "Stay Home, Stay Safe" executive order on March 24. This order instructs all Michiganders who are not a part of the critical workforce to stay home.

Community members are permitted to travel to the grocery store, pharmacy and hospital.

The order is expected to last at least three weeks. However, COVID-19 cases continue to rise daily.

Share and discuss “First COVID-19 death in Ingham County” on social media.