First provost finalist to virtually visit on Monday

A Michigan State University sign on Beal Street on Aug. 23, 2019.
A Michigan State University sign on Beal Street on Aug. 23, 2019. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

The first of three finalists to take over as Michigan State University provost and executive vice president of academic affairs — Wanda J. Blanchett — is set to virtually visit campus Monday.

She will be visiting for an open forum from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., where members of the university will be able to see how they respond to questions.

Any questions to Blanchett can be submitted through this form by Saturday at 5 p.m. A standard set of questions will be also asked during the moderated forum.

Currently at Rutgers University, Blanchett serves as the dean of the graduate school of education, special advisor to the chancellor for academic affairs, and as a distinguished professor. Prior to her time at Rutgers, she served as a dean and endowed chair in education at the University of Missouri - Kansas City.

At the University of Colorado Denver, she served as an associate dean for academic programs and curriculum. She began her career at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, where she started as a coordinator for the secondary exceptional education program and then served as the associate dean for academic affairs, according to a document sent out to the university community with her credentials.

Her research focus is in educational inequity under the scope of race, gender, culture and disproportionate representation.

She received her Ph.D. from Pennsylvania State University in special education and received both her B.S.E. and M.S.E. from the University of Central Arkansas in mild disabilities and in severe/profound disabilities, respectively.

She is presently a member of the American Educational Research Association, Treasurer of the Council of Academic Deans from Research Education Institutions, and a faculty member of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education Leadership Academy, according to her Rutgers bio.

For updates on the search, go to MSU's provost search webpage.

For Blanchett's full CV, read below.

Share and discuss “First provost finalist to virtually visit on Monday” on social media.