Campus police partner with MSU faculty to educate and empower women through self defense

MSUPD Officer Jamie Izen poses for a portrait on Feb. 25, 2020.

Michigan State University Police Department, or MSUPD, Detective Amy Ray, MSUPD Officer Jamie Izen and Associate Director of Recreational Sports and Fitness Services Angela Michael have joined forces to educate and empower women through a campus-wide self defense series. The series is set to take place in three parts March 10, 24 and 31.

Ray is the newest instructor to the Rape Aggression Defense, or RAD, program. She said she was inspired to join because she has participated in martial arts since she was six years old and wants to share this knowledge to empower women at MSU.

“It’s important for girls, for women, to have at least some basic knowledge of self defense, awareness, education. And I think it’s important to have a prepared mindset should one be attacked or in a situation where they need to use self defense,” Ray said.

amy-ray-1

Participants will learn about more than physical moves, including perpetrator strategies, resources in the event of a crime, as well as following one's intuition. Though the program is advertised to campus women, Michael said the program is for anyone.

“Our university has had a self defense program that’s been funded by the provost office for over 30 years. ... For decades it was a women only program but ... it’s really for anyone who wants to attend,” Michael said.

Michael said the program focuses on preparation, but she wants participants to know that in the event of an assault, the perpetrator is always at fault.

“We’re going to teach you some great physical skills. Some you might use, some you may never use, some you might be comfortable with, some you might not be comfortable with, but if you’re in the presence of someone you thought you could trust and they hurt you and you don’t hurt them back, it is not your fault,” Michael said.

am-1

The focus of the physical education surrounds escaping a situation, according to Izen. She said as a member of law enforcement, she hopes to give participants an opportunity to ask questions that one may not usually be comfortable asking a police officer.

“(The program) allows me to be interacting with our community members in a different way other than my official duties when I’m on patrol as a police officer," Izen said.

msupd-1

The ultimate goal of the series is to create an empowering, positive environment to learn about personal safety, said Michael. No matter one's physical ability, Michael said she and the other instructors will adapt physical lessons for any participant concerned about this aspect.

“We had a woman who had a cane and some balance issues, she got to the class and did a great job. ... So, if you have any injuries or any concerns about physical ability, we’ll make it work, just like you would figure it out in a real life situation,” Michael said.

Ray said one of her most rewarding experiences was a situation in which one class didn't want to try a certain physical move, but after discussion and time to think, the class returned for the next session, willing to give it a try.

“I think it’s important to know we respect their personal decisions, their personal experiences and background. ... We respect if they don’t wish to participate in something, then that’s OK,” Ray said.

Ray said the program is inspiring because it allows participants to realize their strength and gain confidence.

"They realize their own power, they realize their own strength that they have," Ray said.

To register, send an email to RAD@police.msu.edu. The space is limited to 20 participants, but Izen said the program tends to run once per fall and spring, as long as participation allows.

Share and discuss “Campus police partner with MSU faculty to educate and empower women through self defense ” on social media.