The MSU students campaigning for Elizabeth Warren

<p>Jack Wheatley and Gabby Harvey with Spartans For Warren. Photo courtesy of Spartans with Warren.</p>

Jack Wheatley and Gabby Harvey with Spartans For Warren. Photo courtesy of Spartans with Warren.

Groups on campus advocating for Democratic primary candidates are anxiously holding their breath as Super Tuesday looms. The Michigan primary is on the horizon, with Michiganders casting their votes March 10.

With several important primary elections and caucuses coming up, Michigan State's Spartans with Warren have been stepping up their game.

Spartans With Warren is a registered club at MSU that focuses on getting out the vote for Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts.

The club holds weekly phone banking sessions as well as canvassing for Warren.

Spartans with Warren also phone banks in states other than Michigan, hoping to get nationwide support for Warren before the critical March 10 primary.

"Registering people to vote is one of our biggest things," Political Science senior Bassam Sayegh said.

The club has over 200 people on their email list and "around a dozen very active supporters," Sayegh said.

Spartans with Warren's reach goes beyond MSU's campus.

"Every weekend I've been going out and canvassing for (Warren,)" Spartans with Warren volunteer Gabby Harvey said. "Mostly in the neighborhood behind campus. ... Going out and knocking on doors and talking to students but also the professors and older people who live in that area," Harvey said.

Spartans with Warren has gathered supporters from candidates who have since dropped out of the race.

Freshman Dan Netter said he donated to Julián Castro, ex-candidate and former United States secretary of Housing and Urban Development.

Castro endorsed Warren when he dropped out, and has campaigned with the presidential hopeful since.

While Netter frequently dons a "Julián Castro For President" baseball cap, he said that Warren was always his first pick.

"I know that she has a strong command of all of the issues that are affecting people out of America," Netter said.

With Super Tuesday fast approaching, the group has been increasing their efforts.

Members of Spartans with Warren, including Sayegh, attended a "Meet the Candidates Forum" in Kedzie on Thursday where student representatives of the major primary candidates pitched their candidate to MSU students.

The State News has also featured Spartans for Sanders and Andrew Yang supporters. The State News is currently reaching out to student organizations supporting other candidates.

Share and discuss “The MSU students campaigning for Elizabeth Warren” on social media.