Pence holds Trump campaign rally in Troy, Michigan

Vice President Mike Pence speaks in Troy Feb. 25, 2020.
Vice President Mike Pence speaks in Troy Feb. 25, 2020. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Vice President Mike Pence returned to Michigan to deliver remarks at a Keep America Great Rally in Troy, Feb. 25. As primaries near, Pence focused on border security, employment and the importance of Michigan's vote.

Between Pence and President Donald Trump, they have visited Michigan three times since December 2019.

Pence originally flew into Lansing and spoke at the Michigan Farm Bureau Lansing Legislative Seminar.

Hundreds of Trump supporters and members of the public gathered at the Detroit Marriott Troy to hear Pence speak on the Trump administration’s success and plans for “the next four years.”

The event was opened by Michigan Republican Party Chairman Laura Cox and Oakland County Republican Party Chairman Rocky Raczkowski.

U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue, who has been traveling in support of the Trump campaign, introduced Pence to the crowd.

Pence spoke to Trump's actions in office while encouraging opposition to the Democratic Party.

"When this president stands up to the radical Democrats, their endless investigations and their socialist agenda, we stand with President Donald Trump," Pence said in reference to Trump’s acquittal in the impeachment trial last month.

A protester was escorted out by security as the crowd chanted "four more years" after Pence discussed the assassination of Qasem Soleimani, a key figure in Iranian intelligence and military operations.

Pence also spoke to immigration and said that upon re-election, the U.S. will have merit-based immigration system after implementing border security measures.

“We’ve already started to build that wall, one hundred miles and counting,” Pence said.

Pence said he credits the Trump administration for Michigan's unemployment rate, which has dropped about one percentage point since Trump took office. Pence promised a continued focus on blue collar jobs and wages upon Trump's re-election.

“To keep America great, we need Michigan to decide right here and right now that you’re going to vote for four more years,” Pence said.

Share and discuss “Pence holds Trump campaign rally in Troy, Michigan” on social media.