RVSM workgroup struggles with discussion meeting attendance

<p>Beaumont Tower on Aug. 23, 2019.</p>

Beaumont Tower on Aug. 23, 2019.

Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

After results of a Michigan State University sexual misconduct survey were released, the university has been struggling to cultivate a campus discussion.

The Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct, or RVSM, Expert Advisory Workgroup and the Sexual Violence Advisory Committee, or SVAC, has been holding public discussion meetings in response to the Know More @ MSU Campus Survey results

Meetings held by workgroups from MSU's Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct and the Sexual Violence Advisory Committee have had a considerably low turnout.

The first meeting had 12 people in attendance – the second and third meeting only had one. 

Anna-Marie Rodriguez Pelizzari, an information technologist and business analyst at MSU was the only one to attend the most recent meeting. Having dealt with problems in her workplace here at MSU that pertained to some of the same issues shown in the survey, she found it important to provide her feedback. 

"I am actually currently navigating some of the issues they are discussing … I am having a really hard time,” Pelizzari said. 

The team is desperately trying to get more people to attend their final meeting on Feb. 4, 2020 which will be held from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. in the Lake Huron Room in the Union. 

“We need help in making the last one be what we hoped it would be, an opportunity to share the results to the MSU community,” Dr. Rebecca Campbell, Chairperson of the RVSM workgroup said.

“We posted everything online. It's a big report. What we really want you to do is to have an opportunity to sit and talk with folks about what the findings are. So I do have a presentation that summarizes findings, kind of brings everybody up to speed and then the idea was after that we would have dialogue,” Campbell said.

Given that the survey results were somewhat complicated and it's 75-page report, four discussion meetings had been scheduled to allow anyone in the MSU community to ask questions about the results and provide suggestions for a strategic plan to be created. 

“The reason why we are doing this is we need a strategic plan,” Campbell said. “The workgroup has been tasked with making a strategic plan, Andrea (Munford) and I co-chairing that. We need people's ideas and feedback. We have a lot of data, we want to get people’s reactions to that data.” 

Share and discuss “RVSM workgroup struggles with discussion meeting attendance” on social media.