News you missed over winter break

Beaumont Tower on Aug. 23, 2019.
Beaumont Tower on Aug. 23, 2019. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Most Michigan State students spent their winter breaks away from campus, but even with the three weeks off and holidays, MSU-related news still developed.

Here’s a list of a few things you might have missed while away from campus. 

Attorney General clarifies investigation into MSU

A statement issued over the holiday from the Attorney General’s office stirred confusion when a spokesperson for the Attorney General said the investigation into Michigan State University was suspended Dec. 24.

Attorney General Dana Nessel released a statement Dec. 25 saying the comment from the spokesperson was misleading, and that the Attorney General’s office is still committed to investigating the truth about who knew what about Larry Nassar at MSU. 

The investigation is at an impasse until the MSU Board of Trustees votes to release 6,000 documents currently sealed under attorney-client privilege. 

President Stanley announces two new engagement, inclusion initiatives 

Two new inclusion initiatives were announced Dec. 6 after President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. sent an email out to the Michigan State University community. 

One initiative is the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Steering Committee, who will reach out to collect feedback across campus and from alumni and external partners. The goal is to elevate the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion around campus. 

This committee was formed following a string of racist incidents reported on campus in October. 

The other initiative is the Strategic Plan Steering Committee, which will be developing an engagement process for gathering input from campus and external stakeholders, about the university's visions and values. 

More information about the two new initiatives is available at the Office of the President

MSU student killed while home on break

Nineteen-year-old Lyniah Bell was shot and killed while home Dec 27. in Chicago's Chatham Neighborhood. Bell was a freshman at MSU studying journalism.

Bell was shot and killed and pronounced dead on the scene when police arrived.

Lafayette Hodges, 18, turned himself in to Chicago's 11th District station approximately six hours after the incident and has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Armed robbery near University Villages Apartment Complex 

According to an alert from the Michigan State Police Department on Jan. 2, an armed robbery occurred at or near the University Villages Apartment Complex. 

MSUPD received a phone call saying a robbery involving a knife had occurred that evening. 

While the suspects have still not been identified, they were described as, “three black males. The first subject was a black male in his 20s, heavy set, with short black hair. The second subject was a black male in his 30s, no other description. The third subject was a black male, no other description. The three subjects left the area in a blue, four-door sedan," according to a Facebook post issued by MSUPD.

Share and discuss “News you missed over winter break ” on social media.