Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Stanley announces two new engagement, inclusion initiatives

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

In an email sent out to the Michigan State community Friday, President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. announced two new initiatives — one aimed at allowing the university to have a better engagement process and the other aimed at diversity, equity and inclusion.

The first initiative is a Strategic Planning and Steering Committee that is co-chaired by Vice President for Auxiliary Enterprises Vennie Gore and Dean of MSU Libraries Joseph Salem Jr.

The committee will serve in an advisory role to the president, and is made up of professors, students and faculty in leadership roles. The committee is tasked with developing an engagement process that gathers input from students, alumni and community leaders about the university's visions and values, allowing trends and themes to be identified to better consider new opportunities and challenges.

The process should set a direction for the future, rather than establishing a set of tactics to approach challenges. The committee will work towards strengthening MSU's ability to lead people, and the university as a whole, to success.

The other initiative announced in the email is the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Steering Committee, lead by co-chairs Honors College Dean Cynthia Jackson-Elmoore and Migrant Student Services Director Luis Garcia.

This committee comes following a string of racist events that took place on MSU's campus in October.

"In my time here, I have seen that many of you are investing in these areas, but I also have heard clear feedback that these efforts are too often siloed," Stanley said in the email.

The committee — also comprised of students, faculty and university leaders — will examine how social identities might affect the educational, research and community experiences of students, staff and faculty.

Stanley expects feedback to be collected from a broad group of alumni and external partners to ensure advancements are being made in diversity, equity and inclusion at MSU.

More information about the initiatives is available at the Office of the President.

"We have been called upon to write the next chapter in Michigan State University’s storied history," he said in the email. "Together, we will make it a great one."

Share and discuss “Stanley announces two new engagement, inclusion initiatives” on social media.