Michigan State men's soccer falls to Northwestern in final seconds

<p>Sophomore defender Olu Ogunwale (14) slides during the game against Maryland at DeMartin Stadium on October 11, 2019. The Spartans tied the Terrapins 1-1.</p>

Sophomore defender Olu Ogunwale (14) slides during the game against Maryland at DeMartin Stadium on October 11, 2019. The Spartans tied the Terrapins 1-1.

Photo by Connor Desilets | The State News

Another game, another shutout loss for the Michigan State men’s soccer team.

With the regular season coming to a close, the Spartans (3-9-3) were still unable to find any answers offensively, falling 1-0 on the road Friday night to the Northwestern Wildcats (7-7-1).

It was a back and forth affair for the whole game, with both teams struggling to generate many scoring chances. The game looked destined to go to overtime, but senior midfielder Matt Moderwell put home the only goal of the game for Northwestern at the 90 minute mark, and the green and white couldn’t tie the game with just 42 seconds left. Even though the result has been the same for the Spartans in their past two games, Head Coach Damon Rensing was more pleased with the effort this go-around.

"It was a night and day team from Tuesday to today," Rensing said. "I thought we were very sharp in possession. We really didn't give up any danger chances. We really didn't give them anything to throw in the last couple minutes of the game so I thought we didn't give up much from the defensive standpoint. I thought all-in-all, it was a very good night. I just feel bad for the guys, I thought they deserved more."

Of their nine losses this season, the green and white have been shut out in seven of them. Sophomore defender Olu Ogunwale led the offensive attack for the team, registering two shots in the contest. Overall, the Spartans out-shot Northwestern 8-6, but only one of their eight shots was on goal. The team also had double the amount of fouls as Northwestern, coming in with a total of 16 on the night.

Two games remain this season before the Big Ten Tournament, and the team has a big one coming up Oct. 29. The Spartans will hit the road to face rival Michigan, when the two teams will go to war for the Big Bear Trophy. Game time is set for 8 p.m.

Share and discuss “Michigan State men's soccer falls to Northwestern in final seconds” on social media.