Lansing auto workers continue GM strike

<p>UAW 6000 president Ed Mitchell holds a UAW sign during a protest of state workers' bargaining rights on Sept. 20, 2017 outside the Capitol Commons Center in Lansing. Hundreds of state employees gathered at the protest.</p>

UAW 6000 president Ed Mitchell holds a UAW sign during a protest of state workers' bargaining rights on Sept. 20, 2017 outside the Capitol Commons Center in Lansing. Hundreds of state employees gathered at the protest.

Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

Lansing Auto Workers Union members entered their fifth week of its strike Oct. 13 as uncertain negotiations continue.

On Monday, Sept. 16, 49,000 workers walked off their jobs to begin the ongoing strike. About half of those workers are in Michigan, generating a national conversation about the state's economy.

The UAW workers are striking against a new four-year contract that workers believe is unfair in administering health insurance, wages and benefits for new hires.

"Our goal remains to reach an agreement that builds a stronger future for our employees and our business," said GM in a statement.

As of Oct. 8, talks have soured between the two parties and the strike will continue until they reach an agreement. On Oct. 12, the union increased strike pay for the strikers from $250 to $275.

"I would imagine the biggest sticking point right now is hiring temporary workers and not having a cap on how long they're staying temporary" said striking Lansing employee Craig Collier. "They hire workers as temps and leave them as temps for four, five, six or seven years." said Collier.

Collier said it seemed a deal was on the horizon, but now the two were far apart once more.

"At this point we're still at the table," said UAW spokesperson Brian Rothenberg. "We'll see where things go."

Rothenberg said job security, a pathway for temporary workers to get full-time status, reducing healthcare costs and workplace safety are all key issues to be addressed.

GM is committed to around-the-clock negotiations to reach a resolution, said Lansing GM Communications coordinator Erin Davis via email.

"I'd like them to get it resolved. I think we'd all like to go back to work," said Collier.

Share and discuss “Lansing auto workers continue GM strike” on social media.