Sister Cities International seeks East Lansing partnership

<p>Council member Aaron Stephens at the July 16 City of East Lansing Council Meeting.</p><p></p>

Council member Aaron Stephens at the July 16 City of East Lansing Council Meeting.

Photo by Junyao Li | The State News

The Lansing Regional Sister Cities Commission appeared at the Sept. 3 East Lansing City Council discussion meeting to urge the city to join Lansing in a partnership with other cities across the globe.  

Sister Cities International aims to develop and maintain relationships with several cities in the United States with Japan, Korea, Italy, Mexico, Kenya, China and Tanzania — just to name a few examples. Residents from these cities travel to the Lansing area to learn about the region. The organization also connects leaders and students from Lansing to other cities to do the same. 

The commission is requesting East Lansing to join Lansing and other municipalities into the regional Sister Cities commission, to provide $5000 in funds each year and to provide representation on their board of commissioners. 

The commission celebrated its 25-year anniversary of its start in Lansing on Sept. 7. The city of Lansing’s budget cut their funding in half from $40,000 to $20,000, which is viewed as a message to gain greater regional support. 

“I thought the presentation was great. I am interested in getting the program moving forward,” said Aaron Stephens East Lansing City Council member. “It’s a great program and expands across many different cities and cultures and I am looking forward to expanding it.” 

Chris Holman, Lansing Area Sister Cities board member and CEO of Michigan Business network gave a presentation on Sister Cities and its goals for the year. 

“East Lansing more than any other of the areas and municipalities in this Capital region,” Holman said. “This relationship makes pretty good sense.”

Jack Davis, another board member, also spoke during the presentation.

“We’re not asking for a whole lot here we’re asking just for some interest,” Davis said at the meeting. “I wanted to let you know the Sister Cities organization in itself has a very important international reputation and we’re using that reputation to see what we can do not only in cultural interchange but also in the economic area.” 

Share and discuss “Sister Cities International seeks East Lansing partnership” on social media.