MSU hosts Lamafest, alpacas included in costume contest

Llamas and alpacas gathered at Michigan State University Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education for Llamafest, August 31 through September 1. —

Llamas and alpacas from all over the Midwest gathered from Aug. 30 to Sept. 1 at the Michigan State University Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education for Lamafest.

The festival featured a costume class each day, where llamas were judged after giving a runway-style modeling display in costumes ranging from Christmas-themed to Dr. Seuss characters.

They were judged not only on costume creativity, but also on behavior when being shown.

beauty

Handler Amelia Wiggins and her llama won the contest on Sunday for their Irish folklore-themed apparel. The llama wore a rainbow costume, and Wiggins dressed like a leprechaun.

She has been showing her llama for around three years and has become accustomed to the animal's feelings on being dressed up.

“I wouldn’t say she likes it, but she tolerates it pretty well,” Wiggins said.

There were also obstacle contests and regular showing contests where the llamas were judged on more traditional criteria in order to find the best in show.

Most of the llamas in this contest had their wool cut in unique ways.

“Our llamas, they’re shorn in particular fashions,” Barb Parsons, an MSU alumna who now raises llamas in Wisconsin, said. “Some of it is for show, and a lot of it is to keep them cool. The other part is that it's usable."

Parsons said that llama wool is used to make goods like mittens, hats and rugs. Many of these products were for sale at the festival, with plenty of stands lined up in the pavilion.

Llamas also have plenty of other uses, such as carrying bags for backpackers, pulling carts and guarding pastures from any intruding predators.

“There’s just so much you can do with them, it’s just what do you want to do with them,” Parsons said. “They’re just a wonderful animal, and they’re a joy to raise.”

Share and discuss “MSU hosts Lamafest, alpacas included in costume contest” on social media.