Acting President Satish Udpa back at work after health incident

Interim President Satish Udpa speaks at the Board of Trustees meeting on April 12, 2019 at the Administration Building.
Interim President Satish Udpa speaks at the Board of Trustees meeting on April 12, 2019 at the Administration Building. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Michigan State Acting President Satish Udpa has returned to his duties after he fell onstage during a May 3 commencement ceremony, university spokesperson Emily Guerrant confirmed to The State News via email.

Udpa, 68, fell during a ceremony honoring advanced degree candidates and received medical attention that night. The university has not released the details of what caused the fall, but said Udpa faced a "health incident" in an email the following day.

He spent the last week resting with his family, but has now returned to work, Guerrant said.

"We are trying to keep his schedule light and not push him too quickly," she said via email.

This light schedule includes attending some events by telephone instead of in person and allowing aides — including university Executive Vice President for Governmental and External Relations Kathy Wilbur and Associate Vice President for Administrative Services Wolfgang Bauer — to handle some events this week.

"Overall, though, he's engaged in most of his day-to-day events," Guerrant said via email.

Udpa was appointed acting president in January after Interim President John Engler resigned in the wake of insensitive comments he made regarding survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse. Before his appointment, Udpa had been an executive vice president since 2013.

The search for a permanent university president is expected to conclude in June.

Share and discuss “Acting President Satish Udpa back at work after health incident ” on social media.