Acting President Satish Udpa hospitalized after falling at commencement ceremony

President Satish Udpa speaks at the Graduate Commencement Ceremony at the Breslin Student Events Center on May 3, 2019.
President Satish Udpa speaks at the Graduate Commencement Ceremony at the Breslin Student Events Center on May 3, 2019. —
Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

MSU Acting President Satish Udpa was hospitalized after falling on stage during a commencement ceremony for advanced degree candidates Friday.

"Acting President Satish Udpa did have a health incident this afternoon during the MSU graduation ceremony. He is receiving medical attention and everyone in the Spartan community has he, Lalita (his wife) and their family in our thoughts and prayers," MSU Spokesperson Emily Guerrant said via email.

Udpa is spending his weekend surrounded by family as he rests from the fall that occurred yesterday afternoon. He plans to take time off during the next week and asks for privacy as he recovers.

"Both Satish and his wife Lalita thank everyone for their outreach and concern and send congratulations to all the graduates celebrating this weekend," Chief of Staff Micheal Zieg said in an email sent out to MSU faculty, staff and students Saturday.

This story was updated at 2:38 on May 4 to include an update from the university.

Share and discuss “Acting President Satish Udpa hospitalized after falling at commencement ceremony ” on social media.