PREVIEW: Michigan, Michigan State game marks first rivalry game of season

<p>Sophomore shortstop Caitie Ladd (11) scans the field during the game against Oakland on April,3, 2019 at Secchia Stadium. The Spartans beat the Golden Grizzlies,  11-3. </p>

Sophomore shortstop Caitie Ladd (11) scans the field during the game against Oakland on April,3, 2019 at Secchia Stadium. The Spartans beat the Golden Grizzlies, 11-3.

Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Michigan State will play the Michigan Wolverines on 6 p.m. on April 16 at Secchia Stadium to mark the first rivalry game of the season.

Youth Team Night will also be hosted on that night.

The Spartans have an overall record of 15-24, with a conference record of 3-8. Michigan, currently second in the conference standings, has an overall record of 29-11 with a conference record of 11-1. The Spartans rank 12th in the standings.

The two teams will rematch at 7 p.m. on April 23 in Ann Arbor, after U-M comes off a three-game series with sixth-place Illinois (26-14, 6-6), and MSU finishes a weekend set at home against Ohio State (25-14, 9-5) April 19-21.

The Spartans and Wolverines have each faced Big Ten opponent Indiana, both playing the Hoosiers in a three-game series. Michigan swept the Hoosiers, and MSU lost all three.

After losing both ends of a double-header against Minnesota on Sunday, the Spartans are looking to get back on track. Last season, MSU faced the Wolverines twice during their regular season and were shutout both times. But the Spartans upset top-seeded U-M, 7-0, in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals, before their season ended with an 11-0 blowout loss to Northwestern in the tourney semifinals.

A livestream of the broadcast can be found at BTN2Go, and live stats can be found on msuspartans.com.

Share and discuss “PREVIEW: Michigan, Michigan State game marks first rivalry game of season” on social media.