Fourth 'Sister Survivors Speak' panel to feature journalists, professors

The fourth panel of the "Sister Survivors Speak" spring speaker series will be held March 12.

The panel will feature journalists and professors who have experience in covering sexual assault crises. It is titled "Covering the Crisis: Journalism and Sexual Violence." This spring speaker series is jointly sponsored by the Michigan State University Museum and The Army of Survivors, a survivor-ally network established by 40 individuals who survived Larry Nassar's abuse.

Journalists who covered the Nassar cases and the university-wide fallout from the scandal will be featured speakers. Journalists include Matt Mencarini from the Lansing State Journal, Kate Wells from Michigan Radio and Kim Kozlowski from The Detroit News. Grace French, the president of The Army of Survivors, will also attend the panel. It starts at 5:30 p.m.

Other guests include Joanne Gerstner and Judith Walgren, professors in the MSU School of Journalism, and Teresa Mastin, a professor and Department of Advertising and Public Relations chairperson.

The five-panel series leads up to the opening of the MSU Museum's "Finding our Voices: Sister Survivors Speak" exhibit, which is co-curated by members of The Army of Survivors and MSU Museum staff. The exhibit is set to open April 16.

The fifth and final panel of the spring speaker series is set for April 23, shortly after the exhibit opens. That panel will be on "Repair: Art, Ceremony and Healing in the Shadow of Violence." It will feature artists and exhibition designers discussing the creation of the exhibit.

Share and discuss “Fourth 'Sister Survivors Speak' panel to feature journalists, professors” on social media.