'Fate of the Earth' symposium to be held at Kellogg Center

<p>Graduate student Emma Berckmans holds the roots of what eventually will be a spruce tree at the <span class="caps">MSU</span> Science Festival on Saturday, April 13, 2013, under the Lansing State Journal Expo Tent in the lawn area between Agriculture Hall and North Kedzie Hall. The festival runs until April 21. Katie Stiefel/The State News</p>

Graduate student Emma Berckmans holds the roots of what eventually will be a spruce tree at the MSU Science Festival on Saturday, April 13, 2013, under the Lansing State Journal Expo Tent in the lawn area between Agriculture Hall and North Kedzie Hall. The festival runs until April 21. Katie Stiefel/The State News

Photo by Katie Stiefel | The State News

A symposium with a focus on environmental issues will take place all day on April 13 at the Kellogg Center.

Fate of the Earth is the sixth annual symposium held through Michigan State’s Environmental Science and Policy Program, or ESPP. The day’s agenda includes a variety of events, including workshops, seminars, speeches, art exhibits and hands-on activities.

Acting President Satish Udpa will give opening remarks at the symposium. Guests include Emily Holden, an environmental journalist for The Guardian, who will give a talk about “Climate and Environment in the Age of Trump.”

Other talks include “The Green New Deal” by Will Lawrence, co-founder of The Sunrise Movement; “Michigan’s Environmental Roadmap” by Sean Hammond of the Michigan Environmental Council; and a panel discussion on “Climate Change and Michigan: Impacts and Adaptation” by the Great Lakes Integrated Sciences and Assessments Center.

Participants can choose to attend a variety of workshops as well:

• “Networking for Environmental Professionals.”
  • “Environmental Connections Through Yoga.”
  • “Understanding and Changing Your Carbon Footprint.”
  • “Toxics in our Water: PFAS in Michigan.”
  • “MSU’s Path Toward Sustainability.”
  • “Getting Fired up for Climate Change.”

Students from local schools will have their environment-themed artwork on display and undergraduate and graduate researchers at MSU can compete for prizes for their ESPP research. The symposium also includes a research poster exhibit, student art exhibit and booths from multiple other groups.

The event is free and open to the public as long as attendees register. Registration for the symposium can be found here, and lunch, parking and refreshments are included.

The full day's schedule of events can be found here.

Share and discuss “'Fate of the Earth' symposium to be held at Kellogg Center” on social media.