Barre Code co-founder Jillian Lorenz speaks on campus for 'Innovate State'

People walk near Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018.
People walk near Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Michigan State alumni Jillian Lorenz, co-founder and co-CEO of fitness franchise The Barre Code, spoke on campus Tuesday as a part of the "Innovate State" speaker series organized by Spartan Innovations.

The series aims to bring alumni entrepreneurs from all over the world back to campus to share their stories and connect with students. Topics include developing start-ups and new businesses, leadership, team building, fundraising and more.

“The real intent is to bring back innovative people and try to get students thinking beyond the traditional narrative arch that they are traditionally exposed to,” Director of Alumni and Entrepreneur Engagement at the MSU Innovation Center Chris Sell said.

Lorenz graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in mechanical engineering in 2000. After that, she spent over 10 years working in a global consulting firm, immersing herself into the entrepreneurship world. In 2010, Lorenz took a big step with her business partner, co-founder and co-CEO Ariana Chernin, and created their first Barre Code storefront in Chicago.

The Barre Code now has over forty locations across the country with many more underway, Lorenz said, and one was established in East Lansing just last June. The Barre Code offers group classes that promote personal growth and self-acceptance. Lorenz said the energy at East Lansing's studio is amazing, and being an alumna made her feel surrounded by support.

"Having strong women really embrace who they are and accepting their individualism and uniqueness and striving for truth to make a difference — if we can show all of that in our green threads, then we are doing great and representing Sparty, as well as the Barre Code together," Lorenz said.

Lorenz shared her tips on forming healthy habits and career goals. “Try to set goals or habits so that they can incorporate healthy options in our life on the daily," she said. "The biggest thing I learned about habits is that you have to actually make them be accessible, by doing that you actually create an opportunity at the right time for you to trigger it."

As for entrepreneurship and career goals, she suggested to "Alleviate your pressure from knowing exactly what you want to go. You don’t have to have it figured out," Lorenz said. "Second, get still. Think about where you really want to go without other influences from other people.”

Share and discuss “Barre Code co-founder Jillian Lorenz speaks on campus for 'Innovate State'” on social media.