Week in Review: Polar vortex, MSU general counsel fired, clery report

Last week, the university suspended classes due to extreme temperatures, MSU general counsel Robert Young was fired and more. Here are some of The State News' top headlines. 

Monday, Jan. 28: Students react to classes during snowstorm

Despite a subzero wind chill factor and up to 12 inches of snow on the forecast, Michigan State didn’t suspend classes last Monday. Students weren't happy they had to get to class in the midst of a blizzard.

Tuesday, Jan. 29: Michigan State suspends classes for seventh time in school history

For the seventh time in MSU's 164-year history, the university cancelled classes on Wednesday in anticipation of extremely low temperatures. Only critical employees reported to work. 

The cold also suspended ex-MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon's preliminary hearing.

Wednesday, Jan. 30: MSU to stay closed on Thursday due to severe wind chill, road conditions

The administration extended MSU's snow day due to dangerously low temperatures. 

U.S. Department of Education: MSU repeatedly violated the Clery Act

A 46-page preliminary report obtained by Outside the Lines found that MSU under-reported crime statistics and failed to notify students of threats to their safety, among other violations.

Ferguson resigns from presidential search committee, Scott to fill role

Trustee Joel Ferguson resigned from his seat on the presidential search committee Wednesday. He said he wanted to give fellow trustee Brianna Scott a chance to be on the committee after hearing she was interested in the position.

Thursday, Jan. 31: Park Place developers seek approval for dual towers, movie theater

The latest proposal in a long string of attempted development projects hopes to bring a movie theater and two towers, one 12 stories and another 15 stories, to downtown East Lansing.

Friday, Feb. 1: Robert Young out as Michigan State's vice president, general counsel

Acting President Satish Udpa announced that Young, an appointee of former Interim President John Engler, was "relieved of his duties" Friday.

Byrum announces new Board of Trustees committee appointments

The new session of the MSU Board of Trustees now has its committee assignments, to be officially announced at the board's Feb. 15 meeting.

Also...

Introducing SNEWSCAST: The State News' weekly podcast

The State News launched its weekly podcast last week. 

Share and discuss “Week in Review: Polar vortex, MSU general counsel fired, clery report” on social media.