MSU running back LJ Scott enters NFL Draft, foregoes redshirt

Senior running back LJ Scott (3) carries the ball up the sideline during the game against Utah State on Aug. 31 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans led the Aggies, 20-14 at the half.

Michigan State running back LJ Scott will be entering next year's NFL Draft instead of taking a redshirt and staying with the Spartans for the 2019 season, he announced on Twitter Wednesday evening.

"The past four years at Michigan State have been some of the best of my life," Scott said in a statement via Twitter. "It has been an incredible journey in East Lansing, and I am proud of all of our accomplishments as a team and forever grateful to the entire Spartan Nation."

Scott said he initially thought with dealing with "humbling injuries" such as an unspecified ankle injury suffered against Arizona State on Sept. 8, which lasted throughout the 2018 season, he would redshirt and come back to East Lansing for 2019.

"As the season has drawn closer to an end, I've had time to properly reflect and discuss all of my options with my coaches and family to decide the absolute best course of action for me going forward," Scott said. "Especially considering the position that I play, I truly feel in my heart that after four seasons at MSU, the time is right for me to turn pro.

"I will continue to get healthy, finish the season playing in the Redbox Bowl with my teammates, and then pursue my dream of playing in the NFL."

Scott is currently 10th all-time in MSU history in rushing yards (2,771), ninth in rushing attempts (586), 12th in rushing yards per game (66) and tied for 13th in all-purpose touchdowns (25 rushing, two receiving), including the touchdown which secured a win over Iowa in the 2015 Big Ten Championship, which gave the Spartans a fourth-seed in the College Football Playoffs.

The 6-foot-1, 225-pound Youngstown, Ohio, native has also been cited several times for driving infractions throughout his time in East Lansing.

But, even through the injuries and outside noise, Scott said coach Mark Dantonio, the entire coaching staff, his teammates, family and the fans have supported him greatly.

"I will forever be a Spartan," Scott said. "Go Green!"

Share and discuss “MSU running back LJ Scott enters NFL Draft, foregoes redshirt” on social media.