Michigan State running back LJ Scott cited for driving infractions

Senior running back LJ Scott (3) speaks to the media on Aug. 6 at Spartan Stadium.
Senior running back LJ Scott (3) speaks to the media on Aug. 6 at Spartan Stadium. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Michigan State football running back LJ Scott dealt with more problems with his driving.

The senior was cited by Meridian Township Police Sept. 29 for operating a vehicle without a valid license plate, an improper turn and driving without proof of insurance, according to 55th District Court records.

Scott paid $400 in court costs Tuesday for the three infractions, according to online court records.

The native of Youngstown, Ohio dressed but did not play in MSU's 31-20 win over Central Michigan the afternoon of his traffic stop. Scott has dressed, but hasn't played in the Spartans' last three games against Indiana, CMU and Northwestern because of an ankle injury suffered against Arizona State Sept. 8.

An MSU Athletic Communications spokesperson said as of Wednesday morning Scott is still with the team. His availability for Saturday's game at Penn State is still unknown.

Scott's slew of infractions culminated in his arrest Oct. 18, 2017 for driving without a valid driver's license — his seventh infraction of driving on a suspended license. The 6-foot-5, 225-pound running back reached a plea agreement in the case and received a ticket for an equipment violation, paying a total of $560 in fines, according to 54B District Court records.

Scott also received a six-month deferred statement which required him to have a clean driving record until this May.

Scott has been charged for violations of driving without a license or on a suspended license on several occasions according to 54B District Court records and 55th District Court records.

After Scott's arrest in October 2017, Scott said it was miscommunication between him and the Secretary of the State's office.

"Young people are going to make mistakes, but they’re my young people," Coach Mark Dantonio said after the Spartans beat Indiana,17-9, last year. 

"It’s like my family, so you’re going to try and take care of those guys, try and usher them forward, and try and help them resolve their issues as best you can," Dantonio said. "Ultimately, you know, sometimes you’re put in situations where you have to make very tough decisions. However, this was not one of them.”

Share and discuss “Michigan State running back LJ Scott cited for driving infractions” on social media.