Michigan State cornerback Justin Layne declares for NFL Draft

Junior cornerback Justin Layne (2) attempts to tackle Ohio State running back Mike Weber Jr. (25) during the game against Ohio State Nov. 10, 2018. The Spartans fell to the Buckeyes, 26-6.
Junior cornerback Justin Layne (2) attempts to tackle Ohio State running back Mike Weber Jr. (25) during the game against Ohio State Nov. 10, 2018. The Spartans fell to the Buckeyes, 26-6. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Michigan State cornerback Justin Layne is declaring for the 2019 NFL Draft. He announced the decision on Twitter Friday evening.

"After much thought and consideration, I have decided to declare for 2019 NFL Draft," Layne said in a statement via Twitter. "A special thank you to my family who have been extremely supportive in helping me achieve my goals and especially during this process. I am beyond excited for what the future holds."

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound junior finished his MSU career with 130 total tackles, 27 pass deflections and three interceptions since switching from wide receiver during his freshman year in 2016.

Layne earned second team All-Big Ten by the coaches and media for the 2018 season (72 total tackles, 15 pass breakups and an interception) and was an honorable mention by the coaches and media for his performance in the 2017 season (40 total tackles, nine pass deflections and an interception).

All of which Layne said is because of the guidance of coach Mark Dantonio and the rest of the coaching staff.

"It has been a privilege to develop as a player under their counsel, but more importantly to grow as a man," Layne said. "I promise to always represent our university with professionalism and class. Of course, I wouldn't be here without the help of my teammates. So thank you."

It's still unclear whether Layne will play in the Spartans' (7-5, 5-4 in Big Ten) Redbox Bowl matchup against Oregon (8-4, 5-4 in Pac-12) at 3 p.m. ET New Year's Eve on FOX.

Layne is the second Spartan to declare for next year's NFL Draft, with senior running back LJ Scott announcing he'll pass on a possible redshirt to pursue the NFL on Dec. 6.

Here are some reactions from Layne's teammates on him entering the NFL Draft:

Share and discuss “Michigan State cornerback Justin Layne declares for NFL Draft” on social media.