Mark Dantonio disappointed in CB Justin Layne's decision to skip Redbox Bowl

<p>Sophomore cornerback &nbsp;Justin Layne (2) gears up for a play during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 28, 2017 at Ryan Field. The Spartans fell to the Wildcats, 39-31, in triple overtime.</p>

Sophomore cornerback  Justin Layne (2) gears up for a play during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 28, 2017 at Ryan Field. The Spartans fell to the Wildcats, 39-31, in triple overtime.

When junior cornerback Justin Layne announced his declaration for the NFL Draft last Friday, he didn't say whether or not he'll play in the Redbox Bowl on New Year's Eve.

During Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio's national early signing day conference Wednesday, Dantonio said Layne will skip the Spartans' (7-5, 5-4 in Big Ten) matchup against Oregon (8-4, 5-4 in Pac-12).

"Justin Layne has left the football team, so obviously he won't be playing in the bowl game," Dantonio said. "It's disappointing."

Dantonio said people now have different philosophies on how to handle situations like leaving for the NFL Draft and his is to finish the season including the bowl game.

But, Dantonio said it doesn't mean he's right or they're wrong.

"Just a difference of philosophy," Dantonio said.

Dantonio said, however, that everybody — minus Layne — currently on the team is expected to play, including running back L.J. Scott, who declared for the NFL Draft in early December, and cornerback Josiah Scott, who was thinking about taking a medical redshirt. 

"I think (everybody is) with us through the bowl game. I think those decisions are made by them in an announcement," Dantonio said. "I don't want to speak for them. So they'll make those decisions and make that announcement based on what's best for them on that point in time."

Dantonio said L.J. is healthy and practicing, and for Josiah, it was "his wish to play" in the Redbox Bowl.

"He sees it as a great opportunity for him to perform at a high level and a national game against a great quarterback and great wide receivers," Dantonio said. "So, he's gonna play." 

Share and discuss “Mark Dantonio disappointed in CB Justin Layne's decision to skip Redbox Bowl” on social media.