MSU Food Bank receives funds from ASMSU

Volunteers work together to package parsley for the MSU Food Bank on Oct. 17, 2018 at Olin Heath Center.

In effort to help end food insecurity on campus, the Associated Students of MSU, or ASMSU, voted unanimously to allocate $9,000 to support the MSU Food Bank

"We did something like this last year," Veterinary Medicine Representative Lauren Pepper, who introduced the bill, said. "I think it's one of the most straight forward ways to have the biggest impact on student's lives." 

At its final meeting last year, ASMSU also allocated $7,000 toward the MSU Food Bank. This followed a survey  released by researchers at Temple University and the Wisconsin HOPE Lab that concluded 36 percent of students face hunger. 

"Food insecurity can be a major source of stress if you're having trouble keeping up with class work or working" College of Music Representative Elizabeth Medlin, who seconded the bill, said. "This is a really good way to make sure we're advocating for students, and we've got the money, so let's do it." 

Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Allyn Shaw, who started the MSU Food Bank, said although they don't run out of food, the $9,000 would be used to make sure they can continue to buy the staple food items that are distributed. 

The MSU Food Bank, which has been around for almost 25 years, distributes food every Wednesday. Pepper said it's often very crowded, and Shaw said around 600 people who are MSU students or the dependents of MSU students came last Wednesday. 

"We truly appreciate any help that you could give," Shaw said. "Money, food or time. You can come on a Wednesday between five and eight and you can see who we're serving."

Shaw said, although ASMSU used to be a line item with the food bank, that is no longer the case. Representatives are looking at ways to make support for the MSU Food Bank ongoing. 

Next semester, Pepper said she'll look into making ASMSU a sponsor of the MSU Food Bank. College of Engineering representative Ryan Aridi said he wants to look into amending the constitution to add a $1 or $2 refundable student tax that will go toward providing funds to the food bank. 

"The food bank is fantastic. They aim to cut students' food bills in half," Pepper said. "I cannot think of any reason why we should not give them money." 

Share and discuss “MSU Food Bank receives funds from ASMSU ” on social media.