Meet the sophomore running for the MSU Board of Trustees

Political science freshman Aaron Mariasy holds his sign on Jan. 26, 2018 at The Rock. “It’s 20 years of indifference and complacency that’s allowed this to happen,” said Mariasy.  The peaceful protest was organized by students in support of sexual assault survivors and demanding change from Michigan State University in the wake of the Nassar abuse scandal.
Political science freshman Aaron Mariasy holds his sign on Jan. 26, 2018 at The Rock. “It’s 20 years of indifference and complacency that’s allowed this to happen,” said Mariasy. The peaceful protest was organized by students in support of sexual assault survivors and demanding change from Michigan State University in the wake of the Nassar abuse scandal. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Two seats on the MSU Board of Trustees are open, and after this upcoming election, one of them could be filled by a student.  

Political science and pre-law sophomore Aaron Mariasy is running for Board of Trustees. A Green Party candidate, Mariasy is the only student on the ballot. And similar to other candidates, he wants to rebuild trust in MSU and be a part of a cultural change. 

"I grew up as a Michigan State fan for sports. I've always been concerned with their public image and I've always thought that this has been an institution that has had a lot of integrity, a lot of honor and a lot of character," Mariasy said. "So when I finally got here, and saw that a lot of what I thought about MSU's image was wrong, it hurt. It really changed the way I look at this institution."

In the midst of the ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar cases, the Board of Trustees received criticism for continuing to support former President Lou Anna K. Simon, despite widespread calls for her resignation. Criticized for the university’s inaction and for mishandling reports of Nassar’s abuse, Simon resigned Jan. 24, and calls for the Board of Trustees to do the same soon followed. 

As a freshman, Mariasy was one of the student protesters who became active during this time. He attended marches, sit-ins and rallies that demanded for accountability and transparency from the administration. 

At the MSU Rally for Resignations in April, he ran into the Green Party's gubernatorial candidate, Jennifer Kurland, who was asking if anyone was interested in becoming a trustee. Shortly after, Mariasy filled out the paperwork and officially became the Green Party candidate. 

"It was a spur of the moment decision," Mariasy said. "I wanted to get into politics for a while, and I had always wanted to when I was older, and I figured that this is a great way to start."

Mariasy said the number one issue facing the university is a lack of transparency. And because of that, it's important to have student representation on the board.

He also said, if he were to be elected, the decisions he would make would not only have a direct impact on him, but on his peers as well. 

"Going to class with them, living with them, eating with them is going to hold me accountable as well, so I have to be a little bit more transparent," Mariasy said. "I'm a student. I see the issues. I know what they are, and I can talk to people who've dealt with that more so than the current administration."

Because he lives on campus, Mariasy also said he would be easily accessible to the community. 

"I can pledge, since I'm here, to have regular weekly meetings, town halls, forums, where people can come to air their grievances with myself or with the rest of the Board of Trustees," Mariasy said. 

Mariasy works two jobs, is taking 16 credits and has two minors in addition to his major. Because of balancing his commitments as a student and being a minor party candidate, Mariasy said gaining recognition has been tough. 

"I don't have the resources or the time to really dive into this as much as I wanted to, so it has been a small campaign, unfortunately," Mariasy said. "I imagine that the few people who are aware of my campaign — it's probably an even split. Some people are skeptical, and other people are supportive." 

Mariasy participated in a candidate forum with the League of Women Voters, has been working on online outreach and has been talking to students on campus. Though he said he recognizes the shortcomings of his campaign, he believes, as a student, he would offer a unique perspective on the future Board of Trustees.  

"This is obviously a very difficult time for MSU students and for MSU faculty and staff, but it's not an issue that MSU can't handle," Mariasy said. "And I want to do whatever I can to make sure that the students are listened to, that the faculty and staff are listened to, and that MSU is a trendsetter for the future."

Share and discuss “Meet the sophomore running for the MSU Board of Trustees” on social media.