Former MSU football player Auston Robertson agrees to plea deal on rape charges

MSU Police Department cars on Nov. 1, 2018.
MSU Police Department cars on Nov. 1, 2018. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Former Michigan State football defensive end Auston Robertson pled guilty to one count of assault with intent to commit criminal sexual penetration on a woman in an off-campus incident last year, in a pretrial conference at Ingham County Circuit Court Wednesday morning.

Robertson, 21, can face up to 43 months in prison during his sentencing at 8:30 a.m. Dec. 5 in front of Judge Clinton Canady III of Ingham County Circuit Court.

Robertson was charged with sexually assaulting a 20-year-old woman in her Meridian Township apartment while his girlfriend waited in the car on April 20, 2017 — when he was still on MSU's football team. He was kicked off the team when charges were brought forth by Ingham County Prosecutor's Office on April 21, 2017.

He was originally charged with two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct when he entered his guilty plea, which the prosecutor's office has agreed to dismiss as part of the plea deal.

Canady in May this year ruled prosecutors could admit evidence of two previous rape accusations against Robertson, along with a portion of a third incident, because the allegations were similar to what the Ingham County woman reported. 

Robertson was originally schedule for trial on May 14, but was arrested in Garden City, Kansas for aggravated robbery while armed with a dangerous weapon, conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery, interfering with law and marijuana distribution.

Canady allowed Robertson to play football at Garden City Community College in Kansas in July 2017. That bond was revoked on April 19 this year.

Before coming to MSU, Robertson also faced charges as a four-star recruit at Wayne High School in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Robertson faced a misdemeanor battery charge in January 2016 and entered a diversionary program in March 2016, which led to the charge being dropped in March 2017 after completion of the program.

Robertson's lone season at MSU was his freshman year in 2016, where he played in seven games recording three total tackles and a forced fumble.

Share and discuss “Former MSU football player Auston Robertson agrees to plea deal on rape charges” on social media.