Schuette pulls ads from most Michigan media markets

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette enters the the Kelley Library for a media conference concerning the investigation into MSU on Jan 27, 2018 at 525 W. Ottawa in Lansing.
Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette enters the the Kelley Library for a media conference concerning the investigation into MSU on Jan 27, 2018 at 525 W. Ottawa in Lansing. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Republican Bill Schuette’s gubernatorial campaign is going dark in most major Michigan media markets, as he's cancelled more than $400,000 worth of previously purchased TV ads. 

Ads in the Grand Rapids, Flint, Lansing, Traverse City and Marquette media markets were nixed. 

“Even Bill Schuette is joining Michigan voters in abandoning the Schuette campaign,” Democratic candidate Gretchen Whitmer's spokesman Zack Pohl said. 

“While Michiganders across the state are rejecting Schuette's extreme record of filing nine lawsuits to rip health care away from 680,000 Michiganders, they are embracing Whitmer's positive agenda that includes fixing the damn roads, cleaning up our drinking water and protecting and expanding access to health care.”

The campaign still intends to air $441,000 worth of ads in the Detroit media market. Outside groups, such as the Republican Governors Association, can still air ads in those markets.

Campaign finance reports filed last week show Schuette loaned his campaign $325,000 and Whitmer outraised Schuette by more than $2 million between Aug. 28 and Oct. 21.

A spokesman for the Schuette campaign told the Associated Press that the campaign does not comment on ad strategies.

Update, Nov. 2 at 12:51 p.m.: According to a tweet from Gongwer News Service editor Zach Gorchow, the Schuette campaign is re-entering the Grand Rapids media market. It is not clear at this time how much the campaign is planning to spend on advertising in the area.

Share and discuss “Schuette pulls ads from most Michigan media markets” on social media.