A look at potential Michigan State basketball commits ahead of early signing period

<p>Men&#8217;s basketball head coach Tom Izzo looks at his players on the court during the start of the game against Nicholls State on Dec. 1, 2012, at Breslin Center. The Spartans beat the Colonels 84-39. Natalie Kolb/The State News</p>

Men’s basketball head coach Tom Izzo looks at his players on the court during the start of the game against Nicholls State on Dec. 1, 2012, at Breslin Center. The Spartans beat the Colonels 84-39. Natalie Kolb/The State News

The college basketball early signing period is just under a month away now, and Michigan State has made the list of potential landing spots for some of the country’s top high school prospects. 

The Spartans already locked in four-star commit Mark “Rocket” Watts Jr. from Detroit, the No. 6 point guard in the country, according to ESPN. However, the ball is just getting rolling for the recruiting season. Having just sent two players to the NBA last season in Miles Bridges and Jaren Jackson Jr., MSU may be getting even more looks from top talent than usual.

Here are some of coach Tom Izzo’s top targets heading into the early signing period, which kicks off Nov. 14.

Isaiah Stewart, Center

Stewart is one of the more developed players in this class. The 6-foot-9, 245-pound center from Rochester, NY impressed scouts with his monster frame, gritty play style and excellent leaping ability, which will allow him to be a menace on the defensive end as he will be able to block shots and pull down his share of rebounds.

However, because of the other top schools listed in Stewart’s top-6, it’s not likely that the five-star recruit will don a Spartan uniform come this time next year. 

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Center

Jackson-Davis, a five-star recruit, is listed at 6-foot-9 and 231 pounds and has about as close to an NBA-ready body as they come for a high school senior. Though the Indiana product has an offer from his hometown Hoosiers, MSU should still have a decent shot at Jackson-Davis, as the Spartans nabbed top-Indiana talent before such as Jackson Jr. 

Jackson-Davis has narrowed down his list of potential suitors to UCLA, Indiana and Michigan State, and figures to make his decision sometime in the near future.

Keion Brooks Jr., Forward

Brooks has listed the Spartans in his top-6 schools, along with North Carolina, Kentucky, Purdue, Indiana and UCLA. So, Izzo has some steep competition if he wants to land this four-star recruit. However, it is worth noting that he's been in “constant contact” with Michigan State throughout his decision process.

Brooks is listed at 6-foot-7 and 200 pounds and has the skill set to play either forward spot. Should he land in East Lansing, he would make an immediate impact on the court.

Malik Hall, Forward

Hall is a 6-foot-7, 210-pound forward who hails from the Chicago suburb of Aurora. He narrowed down his final five to Texas, Oregon, Purdue, Oklahoma and MSU. 

Hall visited MSU earlier this month and was in the building for Michigan State Midnight Madness. Hall has been active on Twitter, and retweeted numerous tweets from the Western Michigan Football Twitter account featuring another Aurora product in Jayden Reed. If Hall is close with Reed, moving to the area might be of interest to him.

Terry Armstrong, Forward

Armstrong is one of the many top recruits to come out of Flint, MI. At 6-foot-6 and 185 pounds, he could probably stand to gain a little weight. Nonetheless, he has the body type to play the small forward spot. Though he has a number of offers from different prestigious programs besides MSU (Xavier, Florida State and Arizona to name a few), being from the State of Michigan would likely put the Spartans towards the top of his list. 

MSU lacks wing players, as there is not much established talent behind guards Joshua Langford and Matt McQuaid. So heading to East Lansing could secure him more playing time rather than if he were to head elsewhere.

Vernon Carey Jr., Center

Carey, the No. 3 recruit in the country, is one of three five-star recruits to be considering Michigan State and is the top target for Izzo and his coaching staff. Physically, Carey may be the most advanced player in the 2019 recruiting class. At 6-foot-10 and 275 pounds, he has an NBA-ready body and the potential to be a force on both ends at the collegiate level.

Carey seems quite interested in MSU and his playing style seems to fit well with Izzo’s offensive scheme in recent years. He was also in the Breslin Center for one of the more electrifying wins in recent memory for Spartan fans, in MSU's walk-off victory over Purdue last season. and is likely to revisit in the near future.

Share and discuss “A look at potential Michigan State basketball commits ahead of early signing period ” on social media.