Klages arrives in court, arraigned on two charges

<p>Ex-MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages walks into the Lansing Police Department as she turns herself in to authorities on Aug. 30, 2018 at Lansing Police Department.</p>

Ex-MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages walks into the Lansing Police Department as she turns herself in to authorities on Aug. 30, 2018 at Lansing Police Department.

Photo by CJ Weiss | The State News

Former MSU gymnastics head coach Kathie Klages was arraigned Thursday on two counts of lying to a peace officer about her knowledge of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar’s sexual abuse. 

Klages turned herself in to authorities in Lansing Thursday morning. Judge Louise Alderson set Klages' bond at $5,000.

Charged by the Michigan Attorney General’s office amidst its investigation into MSU, Klages has reportedly been aware of Nassar’s sexual abuse for more than 20 years, according to a press release from the office.

Klages follows former MSU Dean of Osteopathic Medicine William Strampel, who faces four charges, in the AG office's investigation.

Survivors have accused Klages of defending Nassar’s actions and burying athlete complaints, most notably a complaint from Larissa Boyce in 1997. 

Klages retired from MSU in Feb. 2017 immediately after being suspended by the university.

Boyce has been vocal about her abuse at the hands of Nassar when she was 16 years old on the MSU junior gymnastics team, and how Klages failed to report it.

"I told somebody. I told an adult,” Boyce said back in January during her victim impact statement before Nassar’s sentencing. "I told Michigan State University. Instead of being protected, I was humiliated and told that I was the problem."Klages was scheduled to arrive at 8 a.m. at the Lansing Police Department, but arrived around 15 minutes late.

Lindsey Lemke, a survivor of Nassar's abuse, waited outside The 54 A District Courthouse for Klages' arraignment. She said the last two years for her have been life-changing and that Klages going to court is surreal.

Klages' defense attorney Takura Nyamfukudza said he believes that this investigation is political and that, soon, Klages' name will be cleared.

"I think for the AG, Nassar and anyone associated to him is the gift that keeps on giving," Nyamfukudza said.

Klages was released on a bond set at $5,000. As a part of her bond she is not permitted to contact anyone close to the AG's investigation into MSU. She also had to surrender her passport and is not allowed to leave the state.

Her preliminary hearing is set for Sept. 27.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Share and discuss “Klages arrives in court, arraigned on two charges” on social media.