Head gymnastics coach Kathie Klages suspended amidst Nassar investigation

Head coach Kathie Klages reacts during the  MSU womens gymnastic's meet against Illinois on Feb. 19, 2016 at Jenison Field House.
Head coach Kathie Klages reacts during the MSU womens gymnastic's meet against Illinois on Feb. 19, 2016 at Jenison Field House.

As first reported by the Lansing State Journal, head coach of the MSU women's gymnastics team Kathie Klages has been suspended by the university amidst the sexual assault investigation of former team doctor Larry Nassar.

According to the Lansing State Journal, an email was received from MSU Associate Athletic Director Richard Bader to multiple people associated with the team.

"I write this afternoon to update you that Coach Klages was suspended from her coaching duties this morning," Bader said in the email. "While the University does not disclose specific information about personnel actions, I do wish to assure you that the team continues to have our complete support."

More than 60 girls and women have stepped forward to law enforcement officials since September with similar allegations against Nassar, who worked as the team's physician for almost 20 years.

According to court documents, Klages was reported to have been aware of allegations of Nassar's sexual abuse as early as 1997 and told an athlete who reported an incident to Klages that reporting the incident could have serious consequences for Nassar and the girl.

According to the Lansing State Journal, among the more than 30 potential plaintiffs filing charges against the university and Nassar, one is a current athlete for MSU on scholarship.

Mike Rowe will serve as the interim head coach for the team. Rowe, who graduated from MSU in 1985, joined the Spartans in the 2014-15 season after spending nine seasons as an assistant coach with the University of Pittsburgh.

Stay with The State News for updates.

Share and discuss “Head gymnastics coach Kathie Klages suspended amidst Nassar investigation” on social media.