First Board of Trustees meeting of the 2018-19 academic year to be held Friday

<p>Interim president John Engler addresses the media with the Board of Trustees backing him on Jan. 31, 2018, at Hannah Administration Building. (C.J. Weiss | The State News)</p>

Interim president John Engler addresses the media with the Board of Trustees backing him on Jan. 31, 2018, at Hannah Administration Building. (C.J. Weiss | The State News)

The MSU Board of Trustees will hold their first meeting of the 2018-19 academic year on the fourth floor of the Hannah Administration Building at 8 a.m. on Friday. This will be the first of three meetings held this semester. 

Unlike previous board meetings, the allotted time for public participation will be at the beginning of the meeting instead of at the end, according to the meeting's agenda.

According to a press release from MSU Spokesperson Emily Guerrant, signs will continue to not be permitted into the meeting, a change that was made earlier this year. 

At the Board of Trustees meeting held on April 13, members of the public who came to protest during the meeting were asked to leave their signs in the lobby of the Hannah Administration Building before entering. Many of these protesters were the parents of survivors of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, and many of their signs featured photographs of their children at the age they were sexually abused. 

According to the press release, signs "block the view of other attendees and can become safety hazards in a crowded room."

At the meeting, the board will discuss the formation of a new MSU health care organization, the press release said. They will also make revisions to university indemnification policy and recommend new construction projects. 

The meeting will also include a faculty research presentation. 

For attendees, doors will open at 7:30 a.m. The other two meetings of the semester will be held on Oct. 26 and Dec. 14. 

Share and discuss “First Board of Trustees meeting of the 2018-19 academic year to be held Friday” on social media.