Friday rally to call for community involvement in search for president

Protesters from Reclaim MSU hold signs during the Board of Trustees meeting on Feb. 16, 2018 at the Hannah Administration Building. (Nic Antaya | The State News)
Protesters from Reclaim MSU hold signs during the Board of Trustees meeting on Feb. 16, 2018 at the Hannah Administration Building. (Nic Antaya | The State News) —

Calling for community inclusion, campus group ReclaimMSU is rallying Friday from 5 to 8 p.m at the Hannah Administration Building. The framework of students, alumni, staff and faculty who make up ReclaimMSU are demanding the Board of Trustees change their bylaws to include the community in their selection of a new president.

ReclaimMSU said ralliers will continue the work of covering MSU with teal and collecting letters to put up in the Hannah Administration Building.

The organization’s manifesto says MSU must be reclaimed to create representation for different groups in the university decision-making process, placing a value on a safe learning environment, prioritizing the health and safety of the community and creating transparency within the Board of Trustees and the administration. They also have a policy proposal to implement these desired changes.

The policy proposal calls for the bylaws of the Board of Trustees have to be amended. It calls for the creation of a University Board that includes not only the Board of Trustees, but also two regular faculty members or fixed-term faculty members with voting rights and an undergraduate student representative along with a graduate student representative.

The final vote for the election of a new president would still be left solely to the Board of Trustees as laid out in the State Constitution. However, the University Board would participate in the search for a president.

Stay with The State News for coverage of the rally.

Share and discuss “Friday rally to call for community involvement in search for president” on social media.