Designated moped parking to begin August 2018

Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

Beginning Aug. 1, moped users will be required to park in designated areas around MSU’s campus.

It’s the second step in the changes that affected moped riders which began during the 2017-18 school year. Initially, moped riders were required to purchase $50 parking permits through the MSU parking office, which was valid for one year.

There are 84 areas across campus for moped parking, according to the map from MSU police.

The regulation comes from a recommendation from the All University Traffic and Transportation Committee, or AUTTC, and feedback from students who submitted a proposal to the AUTTC, according to a press release.

“Obviously, I’m not a fan of it because I ride one (a moped). It seems kind of like a play for money and it seems really unfair,” environmental studies and sustainability sophomore Abby Wallace said.

A map of future parking places for registered mopeds on campus. Each red dot represents a parking area. Courtesy of MSU Police Department.

In late April 2017, MSU Parking attempted to institute designated parking for the 2017-18 school year, but was met with backlash from students. Instead, only the $50 registration was required, according to a previous State News article.

“I think that there’s already been a significant improvement in taking into consideration the student feedback that was immensely important when we had this coming at us last spring, last May when this all came before finals week,” Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, President Lorenzo Santavicca said. “I think, as evidenced by looking at the new map that’s been provided here regarding the new locations, I think they’ve significantly added more spaces for people to park in mopeds, which I think is a very big improvement.”

The regulations will create a safer campus, an MSUPD press release said.

“Our priority is to provide a safe environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors,” MSUPD Lt. Dan Munford said in the press release. “By not allowing mopeds to be parked at the bike racks, it removes the action of driving on the sidewalk, which is not only a moving violation, but it creates a hazardous situation for pedestrians and the moped operator.”

But, moped rider and business freshman Oliver Livingston said he did not think it would make much of a difference for bicyclists.

“I don’t really see the reason for it, I think that students should be able to park just like this, it’s not too inconvenient for bikers,” Livingston said. “It gets us to class faster, so I think it should stay the way it is.”

ASMSU created an opportunity for students to ask questions and voice concerns going forward, Santavicca said.

The panel is scheduled for 6-8 p.m. on March 28 at the Computer Center, room 402. 

Since the new regulations were released in early March, it allows time for changes to be made if necessary.

“In any event, I will be an advocate for people to register their mopeds, because that will continue to help the department adequately and accurately map out where they need to install these spots for designated moped parking,” Santavicca said.

The regulations are part of the Move Safe campaign, which educates people about how to move safely as pedestrians, bicyclists and drivers, according to the press release.

Share and discuss “Designated moped parking to begin August 2018” on social media.