'March for Transparency' to demand another public town hall meeting

Student's raise hands during the town hall meeting on Feb. 1, 2018 at Kellogg Center. The town hall brought together students, staff and members of the MSU community to discuss the current climate of the campus.
Student's raise hands during the town hall meeting on Feb. 1, 2018 at Kellogg Center. The town hall brought together students, staff and members of the MSU community to discuss the current climate of the campus. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

A March for Transparency is scheduled for 5 p.m. Friday at the Rock on Farm Lane.

"We must have transparency at MSU," according to a post on the Facebook event page. "Please join us in making it loud and clear, that the student body believes an open townhall (sic) is a necessary step in healing our community."

The event is hosted by the MSU College Democrats and serves to demand accountability and transparency from the Board of Trustees in the form of another town hall meeting. 

The event was created after a request from the MSU College Democrats Friday for the entire Board of Trustees and the interim president to provide a town hall meeting following Thursday's town hall, which received criticism for only having one board member present, Trustee Brian Mosallam.

"This morning, the interim president flatly denied our, not only reasonable, but necessary request," the Facebook event's description reads. "Therefore, this Friday, we march again!"

Last Friday, students throughout MSU marched in the wake of MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon's resignation as well as other events following the ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar scandal. 

The MSU College Democrats wrote that the Board of Trustees will have to provide a response to every single MSU student or faculty member who speaks at this town hall. At Thursday's town hall, which left many students feeling upset and unheard, Mosallam said he was only there to hear the community’s concerns.

According to the event page, "Through this dialogue, students will be given a medium to suggest how we move forward as a university." 

Share and discuss “'March for Transparency' to demand another public town hall meeting” on social media.