84 criminal sexual conduct cases reported since Nassar's sentencing

Eighty-four new cases of criminal sexual conduct have been filed with MSU Police since Jan. 16, the first day of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar's sentencing in Ingham County.

Starting from the first day of sentencing through Feb. 20, the total number of criminal sexual conduct cases reported reached 84.

Of the 84 cases reported since Jan. 16, 70 could be tied to Nassar based on the locations, such as MSU Sports Medicine and the Sparrow Michigan Athletic Club, and years of occurrence.

The reports of sexual assault range in the date they occurred. Of the cases reported recently, the earliest date back to 1990.

The criminal sexual conducts reported so far this year range from first-degree criminal sexual conduct to fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, according to the Clery Fire and Crime Log. 

The majority of cases were reported after Jan. 24, the day Nassar was sentenced in Ingham County.

Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Rosemarie Aquilina sentenced Nassar to the maximum penalty of 175 years in Ingham County. A total of 156 survivors provided statements in court for Ingham County. 

In Eaton County, 65 survivors spoke in court. Nassar was sentenced up to 125 years in prison in Eaton County on Feb. 5. 

In addition to these charges, Nassar was sentenced to 60 years for three charges related to child pornography in December 2017.

Of the 70 cases tied to Nassar due to time and location, more than 50 incidents reported  occurred at the Hannah Research and Technology Center, which houses MSU Sports Medicine. There were five reports that occurred at Sparrow Health Science Pavilion. Multiple incidents occurred at Jenison Field House as well.

MSU Police Capt. Doug Monette declined to comment and directed inquiry to MSU Communications and Brand Strategy. 

"As of Feb. 5, 2018, the MSU Police Department has received more than 60 criminal reports against Nassar since Jan. 16, 2018. That brings the total as of Feb. 5 to more than 190 since Sept. 1, 2016.  All reports taken by MSU Police will be investigated and forwarded to the Michigan Attorney General’s Office for review," an email response from MSU Communications and Brand Strategy said. 

Share and discuss “84 criminal sexual conduct cases reported since Nassar's sentencing” on social media.