Nassar sentenced to up to 125 years in Eaton County

<p>Larry Nassar listens to Chief Judge Janice Cunningham on his third day of sentencing on Feb. 5, 2018, in the Eaton County courtroom. Nassar faces three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton County.</p>

Larry Nassar listens to Chief Judge Janice Cunningham on his third day of sentencing on Feb. 5, 2018, in the Eaton County courtroom. Nassar faces three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton County.

Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar was sentenced to a maximum of 125 and a minimum of 40 years in prison in Eaton County Circuit Court on Monday.

Nassar pleaded guilty to three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct in November 2017. One victim was younger than 13 years old and the other two were between the ages of 13 and 15. 

A total of 65 survivors addressed the court, Judge Janice Cunningham said.

"It is also evident that there is an infinite number of victims that have not been heard from," Cunningham said.

During the sentencing, Assistant Attorney General Angela Povilaitis gave a statement on behalf of the Michigan Attorney General's office.

"I again thank each survivor for coming forward, for trusting us, for doing what was so hard and difficult," Povilaitis said. "Young women have been and are empowered to stand up for themselves."

Nassar also gave a statement. He said the victim impact statements affected him to "his innermost core."

This concludes Nassar's sentencing hearing. In Ingham County, Judge Rosemarie Aquilina sentenced him to a maximum of 175 years in prison.

Nassar also faces 60 years in prison from three counts related to child pornography in federal court.

Rachael Denhollander, the first woman to publicly attach her name to allegations of Nassar's abuse in September 2016, addressed the media following Nassar's sentencing.

Denhollander said she is looking forward to taking her daughters to their ballet lesson on Friday, as her life continues.

But, she will be "seeing this through," and she said she is not done fighting.

She said she is still waiting for MSU to ownership of the issues.

"When your handling of sexual assault scandal makes Penn State look angelic, you have a serious problem on your hands," Denhollander said.

For full coverage of the final day of sentencing, view this article.

Share and discuss “Nassar sentenced to up to 125 years in Eaton County” on social media.