Better in threes: Triplets hit the ground running at MSU

<p>From left to right, freshmen, brothers and triplets Jason, Michael and Patrick Gantos pose in their dorm on Sep. 12, 2017 in Hubbard Hall. Jason is a computer science major while Michael and Patrick are both pre-med. The brothers are from Grand Rapids.</p>

From left to right, freshmen, brothers and triplets Jason, Michael and Patrick Gantos pose in their dorm on Sep. 12, 2017 in Hubbard Hall. Jason is a computer science major while Michael and Patrick are both pre-med. The brothers are from Grand Rapids.

Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

Seeing twins around campus may cause people to take a double take, however, triplets roaming MSU campus takes the genetic code to a whole new level. Freshman triplets, Patrick, Michael and Jason Gantos currently reside on MSU's campus. And to top things off, they live together in a quadruple room in Hubbard Hall with another friend.

The triplets all graduated from Caledonia High School in Caledonia, Michigan in the spring of 2017 and planned to attend MSU together. It was a no-brainer for the brothers, as MSU is in their blood.

“I mean, our whole family has gone there. And we grew up going to all the sporting events. We’ve had season tickets for basketball, football and hockey,” Patrick Gantos said. “ I’ve always just been a Spartan I guess.”

“The boys grew up going to Michigan State basketball and football games,” reiterated their mom, Jill Gantos. “I went there, my brother went there, their grandfather went there, their dad went there for awhile. So, it was always on the radar for any of them to want go there.”

Jill, a Michigan State alumna, is proud that her sons are attending MSU. She recognizes that with how good the school is, it’s a blessing to have all three triplets attending.

“I was thrilled about it. I mean, I’m a total State fan,” said Jill. “I thought it was great when I was there, but now I think it’s so much better organized and they have so many more clubs to join. And what’s neat about it is that whole orientation program is better organized. They introduce the kids to the campus and MSU life very early on.”

Sharing a dorm isn’t the only thing the triplets do together either. They play tennis, have the same classes and spend free time together. They appear to be virtually inseparable, and their lifestyle speaks to that narrative. Living together, however, is not necessarily a breeze. 

“It’s like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs,” said Michael, a pre-med major. 

“Second day or third day or something, I had my shoes in the middle of the floor, and (Jason) went out early and I was still sleeping and then he hid my shoes,” Michael, noting that sometimes conflict arises, said. “I had no idea where they were, which kind of made me mad.”

It was something that the triplets were worried about, given they grew up together in the same household. Living together may seem like a bad idea, but in the end, it is probably the more convenient option. 

“We were all skeptical at first because we’ve been living with each other. We know what can happen. We’re still family,” said Jason, a computer science major. “We just figured it would be easier because we have people that we knew; we wouldn’t have to go with strangers and random people.”

All in all, living together has been a success for the Gantos triplets. 

“It’s actually kind of nice because you always have two people with you,” Patrick, a pre-med major said. “You can network three times as fast, we joke around because we’re always meeting new people.”

“It’s neat because they have each other,” said Jill. “There’s never been – for them – there’s not a lot of anxiety.”

There are a lot of positives to be gained from living together as triplets, but according to Patrick, there is one perk that is the most important: “Having two wing men.”

Share and discuss “Better in threes: Triplets hit the ground running at MSU” on social media.