Five MSU baseball players earn All-Big Ten honors after successful seasons

<p>Junior outfielder Brandon Hughes (33) touches second base with his foot during the game against Toledo on April 26, 2017 at McLane Baseball Stadium at Kobs field. The Spartans defeated the Titans, 11-1.&nbsp;</p>

Junior outfielder Brandon Hughes (33) touches second base with his foot during the game against Toledo on April 26, 2017 at McLane Baseball Stadium at Kobs field. The Spartans defeated the Titans, 11-1. 

Five MSU baseball players were awarded All-Big Ten distinctions for their performances this season. Senior second baseman Dan Durkin, junior outfielder Brandon Hughes, redshirt-junior designated hitter Chad Roskelly and redshirt-sophomore pitcher Alex Troop were named to the All-Big Ten second team. Freshman left fielder Bryce Kelley earned a slot on the All-Freshman team. 

MSU captain Durkin started all 52 games for the Spartans. He ended the season with a .497 slugging percentage, nine home runs and tying for second overall in the conference with 16 doubles. Along with an impressive season, Durkin received the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award, an accolade awarded to athletes who distinguish themselves through positive sportsmanship. 

Hughes wrapped up the season leading the Big Ten and ranking seventh in the NCAA in stolen bases. He also chalked up a new MSU record for single season stolen bases. The outfielder started 48 games and became one of three players in the NCAA to hit a home run from both sides of the plate.

Roskelly ended the season with a .324 batting average. Going on a 13-game hitting streak towards the end of the season, Roskelly tied for the Spartans' second longest hitting streak this season. The redshirt-junior was also responsible for the MSU win over Western Michigan in Comerica Park after he batted in the game-winning RBI. 

A Batavia, Illinois native, Troop tied for the most wins in the Big Ten this season. He ended the season with a 2.47 ERA which ranked him fourth in the conference. Over the season Troop struck out an impressive 83 batters finishing with an 8-3 overall record. He also earned Big Ten Pitcher of the Week in May. 

Kelley had an impressive freshman season starting in all 24 Big Ten games. He led the Spartans with a .364 batting average in Big Ten play and a .353 overall batting average. In conference play Kelley recorded 12 multi-hit games. Kelley tied for 17th in the Big Ten for stolen bases with 13.

Share and discuss “Five MSU baseball players earn All-Big Ten honors after successful seasons” on social media.