New details emerge after Nassar pleads not guilty to 36 charges

Former MSU employee Larry Nassar looks to the court during the arraignment on Feb. 23, 2017 at 55th District Court in Mason, Mich. Nassar pleaded not guilty to 23 criminal sexual assault, first degree.

Former MSU employee Larry Nassar was arraigned at 56A District Court in Charlotte, Mich. Thursday afternoon. Nassar pleaded not guilty to 13 charges. Nassar also pleaded not guilty to 23 charges at an arraignment at 55th District Court in Mason Thursday morning.

Nassar was charged in Eaton County at the 56A District Court with one count of first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a child under the age of 13, six counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct involving children between the ages of 13 and 16, and six counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct involving children between the ages of 13 and 15.

Five of the charges are listed as alternative charges to a separate charge, which means Nassar will be charged with one of the two counts, not both.

According to an MSU police affidavit, the charges brought forward in Eaton County are from three gymnasts who were treated by Nassar while they were a part of Gedderts' Twistars Gymnastics Club in Dimondale, Mich.

The gymnasts talked to each other about their appointments with Nassar, but “because it was happening to all of them, they thought it was normal.”

The gymnasts reported trusting Nassar because of his reputation. “He was like a god to the gymnasts,” one of the alleged victims said, according to the affidavit.

One gymnast said she was abused by Nassar “more times than she could count,” and he became “more comfortable” with every alleged assault.

Nassar was also arraigned in the 55th District Court in Ingham County Thursday morning. He pleaded not guilty to 23 charges of criminal sexual conduct.

In Ingham County at the 55th District Court, Nassar was charged with four counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a child under the age of 13, 11 counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a child between the ages of 13 and 16 and eight counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct with a child between the ages of 13 and 15.

Eight of these charges are listed as alternative charges.

According to an MSU police affidavit, one of the gymnasts said “Nassar made her feel weird and disgusted.” Another gymnast said Nassar told her that the abuse was “supported medical research” and a  “medical thing.”

As of Feb. 22, the MSU police investigation of Nassar includes 81 victims.

Nassar is currently being held without bond on federal child pornography charges.

Share and discuss “New details emerge after Nassar pleads not guilty to 36 charges” on social media.