Letter: Story on addition to business college not up to date

The recent State News article on the building of a new facility for the Broad College of Business is a not a completely accurate representation of the current state of the building project. To clarify why this building is needed, whom it will serve, and the timeline for the project, I want to share a few key points.

First, it is important to note that, while the building was initially envisioned as the Graduate Pavilion, it has become clear as the project has moved forward that this building will be a facility that serves the entire Broad College population, graduate and undergraduate.

This facility will create, for everyone, an environment where they can come together in state-of-the-art, comfortable, dedicated spaces to collaborate on projects. The new building will also serve the entire Broad student population by creating a center for student services, including career services and academic advising.

The second misconception the article gives is that the building will be breaking ground in May of 2017, dependent only on funding. While it is true that we must have funding secured from third-party donors for the building, the Michigan State University Board of Trustees must also give final approval to the building project, and there are a number of additional conditions that we must meet before a timeline for breaking ground can be set.

Sincerely,

Sanjay Gupta

The Eli & Edythe L. Broad Dean

Broad College of Business

Michigan State University 

Share and discuss “Letter: Story on addition to business college not up to date” on social media.