Business College Complex to go under construction for addition

<p>A concept image of the new addition to the Business College Complex.&nbsp;This project is anticipated to include the demolition of the existing west wing of the Eppley Building and replacing it with a new four-story addition. Photo&nbsp;courtesy of Eli Broad College of Business.&nbsp;</p>

A concept image of the new addition to the Business College Complex. This project is anticipated to include the demolition of the existing west wing of the Eppley Building and replacing it with a new four-story addition. Photo courtesy of Eli Broad College of Business. 

The new addition will be the Graduate Pavilion for the Broad Master of Business Administration program.

“I think it’s awesome and needed,” finance senior Nicole Kovach said. “It’s necessary to improve the facilities. We have an amazing program, but not facilities.”

The project was approved by the MSU Board of Trustees with a budget set between $49 million and $57 million.

Construction plans are contingent on funding, which comes from donors and fundraising, design representative and senior architect for Infrastructure Planning and Facilities Amr Abdel-Azim said.

He could not comment on the amount of funds raised for construction, but said construction is to begin the second week of May, provided they have the funding.

“We actually are among business college leaders when it comes down to the engagement levels of the programs,” Abdel-Azim said. “We have great programs, but the space is not compatible to their flagship programs.”

The Eli Broad College of Business needs a space that fosters collaboration, Abdel-Azim said.

"(There are no) study areas, no group study areas, which are needed for the program,” Kovach said.

The Graduate Pavillon would address that problem.

“The new addition will have classrooms, teaching labs, program offices, career management offices, interview facilities, student interaction rooms, multi-purpose spaces (and) a variety of spaces that will create an environment and atmosphere of collaboration,” Abdel-Azim said.

The building will be 100,000 square feet, designed to compliment the landscape outside the building, Abdel-Azim said.

“One of the main features of the design is to open up the building to the river side,” Abdel-Azim said. “We’ll have a central atrium in place, where people in that atrium will be able to connect with the views or the river outside.”

The exterior of the Eli Broad College of Business has to look like it is a great business school, marketing junior Kristen Hetzel said.

“There will be connectivity between the addition and the existing buildings that will really enhance this complex as a one complex area,” Abdel-Azim said.

This means students will be able to travel from building to building without going outside, Abdel-Azim said.

“I think adding new facilities will help the college stand out and attract the top talent,” Kovach said.

Share and discuss “Business College Complex to go under construction for addition ” on social media.