Friday, July 5, 2024

COLUMN: Living in a house is the best option for living college life

Detroit resident Ronald Coleman, 5, poses for a photo with Sparty on Aug. 28, 2016 at West Akers Hall. Coleman was helping his cousin move in to his dorm room.

When it comes to living arrangements, I’ve been through it all in my four years of college — I started out in the four-person dorm at Akers hall, transitioning to the traditional one roommate dorm my sophomore year. Junior year was the apartment, and now, for my last ride, I currently reside in a house of Milford Street just off of Grand River Avenue.

Let me be the first to tell you, I would take the house 10 times out of 10.

The quad in Akers was fun as a freshman, especially having a bathroom and living room in the quarters. But it became a hassle when I had to do laundry, or do dishes in a bathroom sink. Or have any sort of privacy. Plus, Akers cafeteria didn’t finish renovations until second semester that year, so I had no cafeteria.

And no, the few extra Combo-X-Changes we got as compensation failed to make up for it, even with Hubbard Hall right down the block.

As for my sophomore year, I was able to spend it in Emmons Hall.  This time around I had the bearings and the know-how to pick my room, instead of just being assigned to a random dorm room. The room and accommodations were okay, but the same problems persisted.  Privacy issues remained a concern, and the community bathroom bugged me almost instantly — it was just a flat out struggle having to slide on shoes and walk all the way down my hall everything nature called.

My apartment was nice after DTN Management finally completed the kitchen and bathroom renovations in November, even though they said by September, but the distance was too much. I was in Collingwood Apartments, just behind the Hobby Lobby, and as a journalism major, I began to dread the hike to the Communication Arts and Sciences Building.

That led to me driving everywhere and spending a good amount of money on parking or paying the pesky tickets left behind by P.A.C.E. (Really, I was there for like five minutes dude.)

Which brings me to now, in a house with a friend and three strangers, and I am having the best college experience I could ask for. The house and kitchen are slightly outdated, my room is considerably smaller than my apartment’s and our parking lot can barely fit four cars for five people.

It’s not the condition of the house. It’s the people. It’s the atmosphere. I truly suggest you live in a house at some point in your college career.

As I said, I didn’t know three of the four guys I was going to live with, and now we are already great friends. As for house responsibilities, everyone divides up what they do that week and it flows a lot smoother than I originally imagined.

Most importantly, it helps you grow up. In a house, you have to go grocery shopping and clean and pay bills and cook for yourself and all the other little things that helps you move on to the next chapter of adulthood.

So when looking for your next place of residence, go to your local rental company and visit some houses. If you want to live with people you know, get on it now because they go fast. But consider a house, not only for the comfortability and companionship but to challenge yourself to take the next step in life. 

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Living in a house is the best option for living college life” on social media.